Monday, September 5, 2011

{We all Scream for Ice Cream}

I have been searching for one of those old crank ice cream makers that my great grandmother used to have and was bummed that I couldn't make homemade ice cream for my kids like I had had as a child. Well one day while waiting for hubby I came across an article the Food Network magazine showing how to make ice cream using a bucket with a tight lid, ice cubes, rock salt, plastic baggie and a nice ice cream recipe that involved no cooking. I tried it out and it was AWESOME!!

I figured that there had to be a better way to make it though so I looked on youtube to find some good video and came across quite a few talking about making ice cream in baggies and I tried it and it was super easy and my kids can make their own ice cream this way too.

You can use any ice cream recipe you want just make sure you cool down to room temperature any recipe that involves cooking on the stove - don't wanna melt the baggie.





I have lots of frozen bananas in my freezer (I buy bananas at Albertson's when they have them all bagged up and tagged "over ripe" - they aren't actually over ripe but just ripe bananas with little brown spots on them - but they are cheaper by like 20-30¢ cheaper per pound and on some days I get the whole bag for less then a dollar).

When the kids don't eat them up I put them in the freezer, sometimes I put them in with the peel on sometimes I take the time to peel them and put them on a cookie sheet to freeze them then once frozen they go into a big baggy.

I was wondering what to do with them since alot of my freezer space was being over run with cheap bananas. While looking in a magazine (not sure which one - some cooking one I am sure) I saw a fun and easy way to use up all my frozen bananas - make a fool proof ice cream with it!! And boy did it taste yummy! My kids love it and I love making it. Below is a quick video about how to make it in a food processor (I have one and this is how I make mine up).









I am using these while trying to lose weight and let me tell you, if I am craving anything anymore, if I can't make it I don't bring it into my home and I am finding that if I make it, I don't eat as much of it either and with the ice cream in a baggie I get a good work out too - BONUS!!

0 wonderful person(s) commented:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...