Monday, April 2, 2012

{I made Pinterest!}

I have like twelve boards over at pinterest, one of which is "for the kitchen" and I have been baking some recipes that I have "pinned". Below are a few that I have tried.

I am working on getting healthy and making a lifestyle change that includes getting rid of foods that contain all the preservatives, additives, dyes and unnecessary fats/sugars . I am buying "organic" (YES, I am becoming a HIPPIE - get used to it!) and wholesome foods and if I do buy something in a jar it has to have ingredients I can read and I don't buy things with "high fructose corn syrup" in it because the corn syrup (most of it anyways) is from Genetically Engineered Corn and I want to keep that stuff off our plates and just stick to the basics.

Ya know like our grand parents and great grand parents used to eat - Milk from the dairy man in a glass jar, foods grown without lots of herbicides/pesticides and without given growth hormones or excessive antibiotics. Food that looks and smells and TASTES good. Food that I can be proud to serve my family.

We are not going to be going to restaurants be it fast food or a sit down place because we don't know where they get their food or what they are putting into our food. I want control over what goes into our bodies and since having my kids I have been doing them a huge disservice in regards to what I have let them shove into their mouths.

I gotta tell you that since changing what I am buying and cutting out all the CRAP that I couldn't read on a label my kids behavior has begun to improve, they are less grouchy and don't fight as much (don't misunderstand they still fight, they're siblings, but it's not as much as they did a month ago) and I am loving the change.

I am aslo starting to look into Nutrition based healing because I feel that I am lacking in some things and want to explore my options instead of just relying on my doctor to tell me what to do and I sure don't want to be put on medications that I may not even need. I am interested in the Gerson Theory and want to look more into it since most doctors don't always go the natural route and like to dole out prescriptions like they are candy.

Don't get me wrong, I think doctors are great at helping and healing in most ways but I would rather heal naturally then be given a pill that I could have a bad reaction too (which as I get older I am finding I am having reactions to medications I didn't have say 2 years ago).

Well enough about my hippi-fication and onto the recipes!

My first batch of homemade tortilla's!! YUMMY!!
My first try was tortillas made by Home Sick Texan and I must say this recipe made it into my recipe binder!

Texas Flour Tortillas  (makes 8 tortillas)


Ingredients:
Two cups of all-purpose flour (can make them whole wheat by substituting one cup of whole-wheat flour for white flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
3/4 cups of warm milk

Method:
Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and oil.
Slowly add the warm milk.
Stir until a loose, sticky ball is formed.
Knead for two minutes on a floured surface. Dough should be firm and soft.
Place dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap for 20 minutes.
After the dough has rested, break off eight sections, roll them into balls in your hands, place on a plate (make sure they aren’t touching) and then cover balls with damp cloth or plastic wrap for 10 minutes. (It’s very important to let the dough rest, otherwise it will be like elastic and won’t roll out to a proper thickness and shape.)
After dough has rested, one at a time place a dough ball on a floured surface, pat it out into a four-inch circle, and then roll with a rolling pin from the center until it’s thin and about eight inches in diameter. (If you roll out pie crusts you’ll have no problem with this.) Don’t over work the dough, or it’ll be stiff. Keep rolled-out tortillas covered until ready to cook.
In a dry iron skillet or comal heated on high, cook the tortilla about thirty seconds on each side. It should start to puff a bit when it’s done.
Keep cooked tortillas covered wrapped in a napkin until ready to eat.
Can be reheated in a dry iron skillet, over your gas-burner flame or in the oven wrapped in foil.

I hate my cell phone camera sometimes...it wasn't really this yellow but it was delish!


My next attempt was a Chicken Hand Pocket made by Sophistimom


chicken hand pies or chicken pasties


1 medium potato, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1 stalk celery, finely diced
2 large carrots, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
1 14 ounce (400mL) can low sodium chicken stock
1 bouillon cube (I actually prefer Better than Bouillon–just use a tablespoon)
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
pastry dough (recipe follows)
1 egg, plus a teaspoon of water, beaten


1. Place potatoes in a medium saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until potatoes are tender to the point of a knife. Drain and set aside. While the potatoes cook, set a large skillet over medium low heat and add in the olive oil, onion, celery, and carrots. Cook until onions are very tender, about 12-15 minutes.
2. Melt butter into the mixture and stir in flour. Let cook for 2 minutes or so, just to let the flour taste cook out. Pour in about half of the can of chicken stock. Add the bouillon and potatoes. Let simmer a few minutes and taste for flavor. Add salt and pepper if needed. Add in chicken and simmer until cooked through. The mixture should be thick, but not too dry. Add more chicken stock until you achieve the desired consistency (I used the whole can). Store mixture in refrigerator until ready to use (the pies are easier to make if the filling is cold).
3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees (220 degrees celsius). Place a piece of parchment paper in a baking sheet and set aside. Roll out the pastry dough on a floured board into an 18×22 inch rectangle (don’t measure! just guess). Cut in half, and then cut each half in thirds, to make 6 equal smaller rectangles.
4. Spoon 1/4 cup (about 4 tablespoons) of the chicken mixture onto one of the rectangles of dough, placing it slightly off center. Wet the edges of the dough with a pastry brush and water, and fold the longer end of the pastry up and over the filling. Press the dough down to seal it, and then crimp with the edges of a fork. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Make two incisions in the top of the pastry with a sharp knife, and brush with the beaten egg and water. Repeat with remaining 5 pastries. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and puffed.

pastry dough


2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
1 stick (112g) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/3 cup ice cold water


1. In a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, pulse together the flour, salt, and sugar. Add in the butter, and pulse a few times until the mixture is crumbly and resembles coarse meal. Combine the egg and water in a container (remove all ice pieces). While the processor is running, pour the water/egg mixture in and pulse until mixture just comes together.
2. Pour mixture out onto a floured board and knead a few times to bring all the ingredients together. Dough can be rolled out immediately, or it can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for up to 2 days.

Hubby liked it and so did Myrna...the older kids weren't up to taste it but they will in the morning!
My last try for the day was some Vanilla pudding made by Mel's Kitchen Cafe. I added a bit of cinnamon to mine and maybe later in the week I will try making the chocolate pudding too.

Homemade Chocolate Pudding
*Makes about 4 cups of pudding
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch-process or regular)
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cups whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk chocolate chips (or 6 ounces bar milk chocolate chopped)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt, whisking lightly. Whisk in the milk and cream to the sugar mixture until it is smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, whisking or stirring occasionally. Once the mixture is at a simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thickened and large bubbles pop at the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Take the pot off the heat and stir in the vanilla.
Transfer the pudding to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pudding to avoid a skin starting to form. Refrigerate the pudding until it is completely cool, at least 4 hours but up to 3 days, if it is stored in an airtight container. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream...or not.



0 wonderful person(s) commented:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...