Monday, February 21, 2011

{Influenza B has infiltrated}

(image found here of Influenza B virus)

Influenza B has infiltrated my home thanks to the parents who thought it would be great to send their kids to school with a high fever instead of keeping them home, YAY us!

Sam got it first and was out for 2 days, Aaron got it next and was out for 3 days, Ruth got it next and is still down and out, going on day number 5, MJ has it too but not as severe as Ruth but not as mild as the boys, William got a little bit of it but missed the whole shebang by sleeping it off and I can now feel the starts of it creeping up on me due to lack of sleep taking care of MJ and Ruth.

I had to take Ruth and MJ to the ER the other day because both had high fevers (MJ was at 102° and Ruth was at 103°). They tested MJ to see if it actually was the flu and to rule out the respiratory virus that can be quite severe to babies - thus knowing which flu bug is flying around our home, Influenza B.

The ER doc seemed annoyed that we don't do the flu shot/nasal spray every year. Let me explain why we don't do it. I was told that I needed to get the flu shot when I was pregnant with Aaron and then again was told that I needed to do after he was born if I didn't get it before - I waited til after he was born and not only did I get flu-like symptoms from the shot but ended up with the flu virus not covered by the shot and was sick for almost a month. So NO we don't do the flu shot but all the kids are vaccinated and up to date on their shots, we just don't do the flu shot.

By the way this is the first time since I got the flu shot all those many years ago that we actually got the flu.

Right now there is nothing the docs can do and I am to continue what I am doing to help Ruth and MJ combat their fevers, aches, pains, chills, cough & congestion.

Yesterday was a rough one because Ruth had a temperature of 105° and I had to give her a luke warm bath, we had our home teacher come over and give her a blessing and between the bath, blessing and the help of two little medications (Tylenol & Ibuprofen) we got it down to 101° and it's been hovering between 101° - 102°.  Today she's still not up to her normal self but she has eaten a little and is sleeping away the day to help her feel better.

MJ is seriously congested and with the aid of some saline mister and the little suction ball I am able to keep her pretty happy and with the help of the infants Tylenol I am able to keep her temp down as well.

So keep us in your prayers as we battle this nasty little bug with gusto!

1 comment:

  1. I'm assuming you're still nursing MJ? That will help her fight the virus and keep it less severe, as you probaly already know. Sorry you guys are sick! It's scary when the little ones are sick.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...