Wednesday, March 21, 2012

{Quick Dinner}

I made a quick dinner tonight using only sausage, kale, chicken broth, rice and some butter. It was a huge hit with my family and it was quick and easy and didn't need any extra seasoning. The kids loved the Kale, they said it tasted a little like broccoli. This recipe I just created to use up what I had in my fridge and pantry. You could add any vegi you like to it or any type of rice. I like medium grain rice because it's easy to make and has a nice texture.
credit
By the way, do you know what kale looks like? I was watching a cooking show on PBS and the woman said a type of lettuce in her hand was Kale and it wasn't. I first learned about Kale when I made Zuppa Tuscana Soup. I went to my local grocery store and had to find the produce guy and ask what Kale was because I had no idea. It's actually pretty interesting looking and all ruffly. It's a wonderful addition to any soup where you want a splash of green. I love having it on hand, if you haven't tried it you should.


Sausage Rice with Kale

1 pound sausage (you can use any flavor of sausage)
1 - bunch of Kale
14.5 oz can Chicken Broth (I used swansons)
2 tablespoons of butter
1 cup dry medium grain rice
2 cups water

Directions:  In a large saute pan brown and cook up the sausage. Once cooked add the chicken broth and scrape up all the bits of goodness that may have stuck to the pan. Chop the kale and place on top of the sausage with 1 table spoon of butter, cover and reduce heat to low.

In a small pot add the water and bring to a boil with 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the rice and stir until water starts to boil again. Cover and reduce heat to low for 20 minuets. 

Once rice is cooked fluff it add it to the sausage mixture and then serve.

This would make a great side dish or even a nice dish on it's own. For smaller kids if it's too hot add a small handful of frozen peas and stir until cooled.

0 wonderful person(s) commented:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...