Friday, August 26, 2011

{Refrigerator Pickles}

So I had some cucumbers left over from when I went to a little farm market in Fruitland and wanted to pickle them and got this recipe off the internet and then tweaked it for what I actually had in my cupboard.

I made them up and let them sit in my fridge for 24 hours and I must say they are yummy!! It was super easy and can be tweaked to fit items in your fridge and it's not too sweet, I was surprised at how mild it was and how the vinegar didn't over power the onion or cucumber. It was a nice pickle flavor with just a hint of sweetness...

This made 3 quart size jars for me

Homemade Refrigerator Pickles

Ingredients:

1 Cup distilled white vinegar
1 Tablespoon salt
2 Cups white sugar
6 - 7 cucumbers sliced (any way you want)
1 large Onion sliced

Directions:

In a medium sauce pan over medium heat bring the first 3 ingredients to a boil until the sugar and salt has dissolved.

Place cucumbers and onion into a large bowl. Pour the liquid over them and toss. Transfer to a sterile container pouring liquid over top. Store in the fridge for up to 2 months.

You can add peppers, any type of onion (I used a sweet walla walla onion), mushrooms and any other seasonings you would like. I am impressed with how these came out!


I have a vacuum sealer that came with a wide mouth lid sealer and used it to vacuum out the air and seal the lid. I can see using these pickles on sandwiches, hot dogs, hamburgers, salads and many other yummy foods.

0 wonderful person(s) commented:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...